Determining IP information for lo... failed [solved]

Peter Horst phorst at speakeasy.net
Sat Oct 13 19:17:23 UTC 2007

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Why, yes, BOOTPROTO defaults to BOOTP, if it's set, read the ifup script.
> Get rid of this. You may need to run system-config-network, and flip your
> actual network interface to explicitly use dhcp, if that's what you need.

Seems so straightforward in hindsight.  I just removed the line
"BOOTPROTO=dhcp" from "/etc/sysconfig/network" (which if I understand it
correctly, affects system-wide networking defaults) and added it to
"/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1" (which I understand to
control the eth1 interface only).  Now both interfaces come up
instantly.  Thanks very much.