Lacie Mobile driver is unknown to Fedora

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Oct 13 21:06:05 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 21:46 +0200, antonio montagnani wrote:

> Disk /dev/sda: 203.9 GB, 203928109056 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24792 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
> /dev/sda2              14       24792   199037317+  8e  Linux LVM

I presume this to be your main drive.

> Disk /dev/dm-0: 201.6 GB, 201695690752 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24521 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/dm... being a "device mapper" device, what I understand to be part
of how LVM is handled.

> Disk /dev/sdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdb1   *           1        9729    78148161    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

And that's your new drive (unless you happen to have another 80 gig
drive on your system).  But it's the same /dev/sdb that you showed us
mentioned in your /var/log/messages file.

It has a Windows file system set as the partition type, though that
doesn't also mean that it's been formatted.  That's a separate issue.
You could have an unformatted drive, you *can* have a partition type
that's different from the file system its formatted with.  But what I
think is more likely is that it is formatted, but doesn't have a volume
name.  Without one, automatic mounting is less likely to occur.  With a
bit of fiddling about, mtools can be used to name the drive.  Or, a
simple approach is to plug it into a Windows box, and rename the drive.

If you're certain that this is your new drive, and it is empty, you
could use the mkfs command to format the drive and give it a device
name, at the same time.  An advantage with formatting a new drive is
that you can use the check feature, to check the drive for errors.  It's
better to find out if it has any now, than six months later when
something important disappears.

Do you want it formatted with a Windows filing system?  It's not the
best choice if you only use Linux systems.  You can reformat it with a
Linux file system (e.g. ext3).

See the man file for the mkfs command, it'll also refer to some other
related commands for making different types of file systems.  On my
system, there's at least these ones:

mkfs         mkfs.ext2    mkfs.msdos   mkfs.vfat
mkfs.cramfs  mkfs.ext3    mkfs.ntfs

When you plug in a file with a volume label, you can expect to find it
mounted inside /mnt, using the volume label as the directory name.

e.g. /mnt/laciedrive  if "laciedrive" was the label for that drive.

--
(This box runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.