Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 14 09:41:30 UTC 2007

Doug Purdy wrote:
> I installed Fedora 7 from Christopher Negus' Fedora 7 and Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux Bible book, left it a week, and then spent a few hours
> trying to figure it out before I let it update. After the reboot it
> complains of Inconsistent filesystem structure, offers two kernels and
> "Other" in Grub but will only boot "Other." I don't see what is
> inconsistent. Suggestions appreciated.
>
> Here's what it says:
>
> root (hd1,1)
>  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type is 0x83
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 ro root=dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
> quiet
? typo or missing / between = and dev    /\
? did you mean to be using LVM {should be type 8e}
? did it run out of space on /boot

>    [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x1d4854]
>
> Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure
It doesn't understand the disk.
Make sure the disk is logically sound with:
- boot rescue cd or dvd with: linux rescue
- don't mount your partitions
- fsck -f /dev/sda1 (and 2 and so on)

> Selecting either Fedora kernel just repeats the above.
>
> Fedora is installed on the second ATA drive in the machine. It was an
> NTFS disk but Fedora wouldn't install until I used fdisk and mk2fs with
> the book's Fedora Live CD and I created ext3 partitions which I had
> marked as type 83. Then anaconda did a uneventful full install.

Which disk and partition is grub installed to ?

Can you boot the cd to get into rescue mode ?
What partitions are where {fdisk -l} ?

DaveT.