Re: How does dhcp(d) choose an IP address?

Timothy Murphy <tim <at> birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> writes:

> Todd Zullinger wrote:
> > Are you sure that there isn't another dhcp server running on the
> > network?  Have you checked in /var/log/messages for dhcp logs from the
> > time the ip was assigned to your laptop?

If you are connecting through an AP that also had DHCP available then it is
possible that the IP address has been given by the AP and not by your DHCP
server running on your desktop.  I had this issue and found that I had forgotten
to switch off the dhcp server in the AP config.  Worth checking I would think.