SELinux Attack!

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Oct 14 11:35:16 UTC 2007

Erich Zigler wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 11:32:11 -0600 Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>

>>     I will not turn on SELinux again until I see a update for dbus.
>> It appears dbus is used only by SELinux.
>>

> Incorrect. dbus is not used by SELinux. dbus and SELinux do not
> depend or require each other. Many GNOME/GTK applications you are
> running on your machine require dbus. If you do a ps auxww | grep dbus
> right now you will see that it is running.
>
> D-Bus is a message bus system, a simple way for applications to talk
> to one another. In addition to interprocess communication, D-Bus helps
> coordinate process lifecycle; it makes it simple and reliable to code a
> "single instance" application or daemon, and to launch applications and
> daemons on demand when their services are needed.
>
> D-Bus supplies both a system daemon (for events such as "new hardware
> device added" or "printer queue changed") and a per-user-login-session
> daemon (for general IPC needs among user applications). Also, the
> message bus is built on top of a general one-to-one message passing
> framework, which can be used by any two apps to communicate directly
> (without going through the message bus daemon). Currently the
> communicating applications are on one computer, or through unencrypted
> TCP/IP suitable for use behind a firewall with shared NFS home
> directories. (Help wanted with better remote transports - the transport
> mechanism is well-abstracted and extensible.)
>
> Source: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus
>
> For an incomplete list of applications that require dbus:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/DbusProjects
>
> Please please please do some research and googling before you try to
> pass off halfcocked misinformation to the list. This negatively impacts
> you, this list, and the community. It also affects the potential
> user/sysadmin googling for this same issue which comes upon your
> misinformation and decides to act on it.
>
> - Erich

    I DID Google dbus and it came up with many but one was interesting
to me because it was another user having trouble with SELinux and he
found the same problem I have. He said the problem in dbus was fixed in
FC6 but is again a problem in F7.

    Now. Due to the problem with dbus I can't use SELinux because it
uses dbus and has a problem with that. So your wrong with thinking
SELinux does not use dbus, It certainly does and that I can prove.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User