2.6.23 kernel

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Oct 15 01:13:44 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> John Summerfield wrote:

>>> You were looking at RAM use. no needed lvm modules means slack might use
>>> less RAM on that account.
>>
>> Except that slack is using MORE RAM even though F8 is actually loading
>> more
> I noticed.
>
>> modules and running more services (forgot F8 was running ntpd and
>> sendmail).
>>  So, I find it comforting that F8 is using less RAM (F8 147.9MB v.s.
>> Slack
>> 179.4MB) even though it is doing more.  Guess I have to look back at my
>> original post...could be I got the numbers reversed in it?
>>
> Would be good to check, just so as to not leave anyone wondering or
> misinformed.

OK...  I did check and originally said....

"Now, the really interesting thing was that top showed F8 to be using
147.9MB out of 512MB while slackware was consuming 179.4MB."

So, I got it right the first time....

So, it would seem that a default install of slackware consumes more RAM than
a default install of F8-T3 even when F8-T3 is running more services.

Comforting....

--
A prediction is worth twenty explanations.
		-- K. Brecher