SELinux Attack!

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 14:43:36 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>>>     Well I did get a whole lot of messages like this, every ten
>>> seconds or so:
>>>
>>> Oct 11 02:31:08 k5di dbus: Can't send to audit system: USER_AVC avc:
>>> received policyload notice (seqno=2) : exe="/bin/dbus-daemon"
>>> (sauid=500, hostname=?, addr=?, terminal=?)
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what this means but it seems to mean that
>>> /bin/dbus-daemon has a problem with my hostname ect.
>>>
>>> I looked at man dbus-daemon and it is a library that any device can
>>> access. It appears it doesn't have what SELinux wants. How do I fix
>>> this I wonder?
>>>

>> I found a couple of references to that message by googling.  They seem
>> to suggest a bug related to dbus.
>>
>> I have a handful of these in my logs from the last few weeks, but they
>> aren't frequent and they seem otherwise harmless.  If you are getting
>> lots and lots, that may be an issue, but it may just be an artifact of
>> some other problem.
>>
>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-selinux-list/2007-June/msg00103.html
>>

>    Well thanks Matt. The web page tells me that other people have had
> this same problem which is a Bug for dbus. They say it was fixed for FC6
> but it is showing up again in F7.
>
>    I will not turn on SELinux again until I see a update for dbus. It
> appears dbus is used only by SELinux.

THis is a well known bug in dbus.  Dbus can use selinux to govern
communications between processes.  So it uses the kernel SELinux policy
and needs to communicate with it.  Since dbus is used to control
communications, it has to audit all security related data.

When SELinux policy gets reloaded in the kernel.  The kernel sends a
message to dbus telling it that the policy reload happened.  dbus then
attempts to send an audit message that it has received the message.

The problem is the session dbug runs as a normal user, and DAC
permissions prevent the message from being sent to the audit daemon.
The message gets rerouted to /var/log/message and is reported as an error.

In Rawhide the dbus session daemon no longer attempts to send the
message to audit daemon since it knows it is not able to, and sends it
directly to syslog.  So no error is reported.

So this is a long way of saying you can ignore this dbus message.