F7 kernel panic stopped the installation

Barry Yu barryyu-cts at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 16 14:41:42 UTC 2007

David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au> wrote: Barry Yu wrote:
> Same machine FC6 can finish installation but not F7;
> When started the installation as follow;
> Start loading vmlinuz.............
> Start loading unitrd.img ..........
> Process swapper
>
> Call trace;
>
> Code; Bad RIP value.
> RIP
> CR2
> Kernel panic - not syncing;Aiee, killing interrupt
> handler!
> (The the system freezes, keyboard has no response,
> only can press the reboot switch to reboot the system)
>
> Core2Duo E6400 processor 2.13ghz
> 4gb ddr2 ram
> Raid 0 Intel Matrix storage Manager FCH8R wRAID5)
>
> When switch to FC6 installation, process can go
> smooth.
> XP and Vista can be installed in same machine without
> any problem.
> Need help.

Does the install finish and you get these errors starting the installed
system ? Or is it the installer that is having trouble ? Are you using
i386 or x86_64 installer ?

DaveT.

This happened just at the start of installation, I tried both i386 and x86_64, the installation started just after the flying high picture where I choose installation options and the installation began in text mode within less than a minute the process halted and displayed above kernel panic message - If I use f6c i386 the installation can start and lead me to hard drive partition stage when I can make partitions for swap, root etc, and I assume the rest of the installation will have not problem at all (I quit fc6 installation at that point).