GRUB Question

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Oct 17 14:32:32 UTC 2007

Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> On 10/16/07, John Pierce <john.j35 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Probably the wrong list, but here goes.
>>
>> I have this working version of fedora 7 on sda, I installed mandriva
>> 2008, for a test drive for the wife, on sdb.  There was not an option
>> to omit installing the boot loader, I let it install it on  sdb.  The
>> question, can I make the grub on sda pass control to the grub on sdb?
>> If so, how?
>>
>> I know how to boot the beta of fedora 8 that I put on that drive, but
>> I cannot figure out how to pass control to the sdb boot loader.
>>
>> Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.
>
> If you installed your mandriva bootloader on the MBR of sdb that
> points to a /boot partition on sdb#, you can just add a stanza in your
> Fedora 7 grub.conf on sda to chainload sdb ... just treat your other
> grub like you would a Windows partition (without all the crazy BIOS
> drive order swapping and partition hiding needed).

How do you chainload to the MBR? If you specify hd0,0, it looks for
the boot loader in the boot record of the first partition, and not
the MBR. You can get around that by installing grub stage 1 on the
boot record of your /boot partition, instead of, or in addition to,
installing it on the MBR.

Mikkel