SELinux last straw

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 19:19:55 UTC 2007

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

>> If I asked how to determine whether or not some particular access would
>> be permitted or denied by the traditional unix mechanism you wouldn't
>> have any trouble describing how to verify it in terms of permissions
>> down the file path.  I'm asking the same question about SELinux.
>
> 1) familiarize ones self with the rules , as one has to do with
> traditional secuirty

But the traditional unix rules are extremely simple, and being able to
understand and verify them is one of their biggest virtues.

> 2) or just try it and see if it is allowed or not

When something applies only to a particular process, how can you try it
without running that process - which may have destructive side effects
if it fails?

>> How, for example, would you determine if some change will make it
>> necessary to relabel?   How, other than running something and letting it
>> fail to get the log message, do you positively determine that some
>> specific access will be permitted or denied?
>
> perms can be viewed with `ls` and there is some command that provides
> the current settings.
>
> How would you do it with traditional tools?

The shortcut test is to su to the user in question and try to access the
file/device.  The only slightly more complicated way is to walk down the
path looking at the permissions for user/group/other on the file and the
directories above.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com