GRUB Question

John Pierce john.j35 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 23:07:11 UTC 2007

> Here is the thing. You originally said that you installed the boot
> loader on sdb. Which means it is not in the first sector of sdb1.
> Whether you use the chainload path to the method I suggested you are
> always using the boot loader on sda. You are not using the bootloader on
> sdb.
Right, I wanted the boot loader of sda to start the boot loader of sdb
so I would not have to manually update the stanzas in the fedora
grub.conf file.

> I think though using the chainloader path makes the updating the
> mandriva kernel more transparent and cleaner. I originally said the
> opposite but I had not taken kernel updates into account.

Now, that the boot loader from mandriva install is placed in the first
sector of /dev/sdb1 I can chainload that from a menu entry in the
fedora boot loader's grub.conf file.  When I choose that option the
grub of mandriva loads and I can see any mandriva supplied updates.

> The way you are doing it you should leave the softlink
> for /etc/grub.conf for mandriva pointing at its /boot/grub.conf on sdb.

In my OP, I thought it would trivial to make the boot loader installed
on the mbr of /dev/sda to the mbr of a second drive, not so though.
Unless someone else has an idea I am thinking that it cannot be done.

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at