Ipods

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Thu Oct 18 01:37:04 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 20:48 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 20:05 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> >> Indeed.  I know that amarok use libgpod for its ipod services.  I'd be
> >> very interested in finding out if there is a bug someplace in libgpod
> >> that's causing your trouble, because I'd like to get it fixed.  If you
> >> have time for fiddling and want to try and debug this, let me know.
> >
> > Sure.  I'd like to know what's going on.
>
> Sorry for the delayed reply. :)
>
> >> Is this on FC6 or F7?
> >
> > Well, both.  My desktop machine at the office is F6, 32-bit (fully
> > updated).  On one of my F7 machines which I just tried (x86_64,
> > Intel Core Duo), the "Configure Amarok" shows the device and shows
> > sdb3 as an Apple iPod media device.  It shows up in /media as "Rick
> > Stevens's iPod" (with spaces).  However, clicking on the "Connect"
> > icon causes a "Media Device: No mounted iPod found".  Now, since the
> > automounter mounted it in media, I don't have a "mount" command
> > configured in Amarok.  Could that be the issue?
>
> I don't think so, but I'm not terribly familiar with amarok.  Here's
> what I did to read my ipod in Amarok.
>
> I deleted ~/.kde/share/config/amarokrc and ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/
> before I started this, so I was starting fresh, I think.  I also
> mounted my ipod at "/media/Todd's iPod" to test the spaces.  I used
> the same mount options as hal mounts the device with, except the
> uhelper=hal option.
>
> Then:
>
> 1) Connected my ipod.  Hal detected and mounted it.

I've done both...let Hal do it and manually mounted it myself.  Of
course, as a mere mortal login, I can't mount it, "only root can do
that".

In either case, the damned thing mounts as root, not as me and has 755
permissions.  Grrrr!

> 2) Started Amarok.  It detected a media device and pointed me to the
> Media Devices pane in the configuration dialog.

Yeah, did that.

> 3) Went the the Media Devices pane and selected Apple iPod Media
> Device from the drop down.

Did that as well.

> 4) Clicked Ok and waited a minute.

I've been waiting over 10 minutes now and only 10GB is used on mine.

> 5) Eventually, Amarok finished reading my iPod (after a minute or so,
> it has a lot of music and album art, so it takes a bit of time in
> gtkpod too. :)

Nada.  Bupkus.  If I click the "Connect" button, I get the "Media
Device: No mounted iPod found" popup.

> So it seems to work here.  Is it possible that you've got nothing
> selected as the plugin for the ipod?  If not, I'm not sure where the
> problem may be.  It doesn't seem like there's an obvious bug in amarok
> or libgpod.  There may, of course, be a non-obvious bug causing this
> though. ;)

Again, this is an hfsplus iPod.  Could that have anything to do with it?

> What happens if you manually mount the ipod without any spaces in it?

I get the "Media Device: failed to create lockfile on iPod mounted
at /media/ipod: Read-only file system" popup.  I've tried both of these
/etc/fstab entries:

/dev/sdc3   /media/ipod  hfsplus defaults                     0 0
/dev/sdc3   /media/ipod  hfsplus uid=rick,gid=rick,umask=000  0 0

hfsplus doesn't grok either the "user" or "users" options, so root
has to mount it.  That being said, performing "mount /dev/sdc3" as
root, the only things that change are the user and mode.  The first line
gives root:root and 755 modes, the second rick:rick and 777 modes.

I'm really starting to think this is an hfsplus issue.  Nonetheless,
it's damned annoying.

> > On my F7, it's libgpod-0.4.2-1.fc7, both i686 and x86_64 versions
> > (machine is an Intel Core Duo).
>
> Yup.  And that's a release from January 2007.  libgpod releases a lot
> less often than many other projects.  I'm working on getting it
> updated for F-7 now.  Assuming the maintainers of the other packages
> that use libgpod agree, I'll put it in updates-testing soon (fingers
> crossed).

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
- Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3--not even for large values of 2. -