kde 3.5.8 for fc6?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Oct 19 15:50:06 UTC 2007

Strong wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 12:59:31 -0400 David Boles <dgboles at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> on 10/16/2007 8:22 AM, Olaf Mueller wrote:
>>> does anybody knows if there will be rpms for the upcoming kde 3.5.8
>>> for fc6? That would be great!
>> Official ones? I doubt it since Fedora Core 6 is EOL in December.
>>
> I got one question here. Why they don't stop this versioning and make
> not just one release with the following updates rather that make such a
> mess when the admins/users have to destroy their previous release and
> install a new one - as the update option works poorly? The programs
> grow in their mature and what is the difference between the versions:
> just its mature, it is the same program, why it can not be just updated
> for the existing release? Then what is the release versions - just
> names - in noway related with the programs it includes, growing
> themselves.
>
> Why I do ask such a thing is the problem I have met with the support of
> my existing release (6). I have even a server set up and tuned up and
> to change to another release, now 8, it is a hard deal - as a lot of
> now working stuff should be remade - just to satisfy a new release
> name! - Seems foolishness to me. Or I miss something?

If you search the archives, you will find the answer on this one.  It
comes down to integrating all the changes that occur between versions.
gcc is one example that was used in a previous discussion.  Changing
packages is also another reason.  Fedora has a habit that I am finding
of putting certain packages into other packages which create dependency
issues.

Maybe someday this will be fixed and yum can deal with these changes and
work around them.

I would like to see a cleaner upgrade path but over the years I don't
think that is going to happen.

As for other Linux distros, I keep reading wonderful reviews of pclinux
in comparison to other distros.  It gets better reviews than Ubuntu from
the latest review.
--
Robin Laing