wpa_supplicant.conf for F7 for WPA-PEAP

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 19 16:09:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 15:16 +0000, Mike C wrote:
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
> > Well I have a Latitude D810 with a IPW2200 wireless card. For me using
> > NetworkManager and NeworkManagerDispatcher rather than network
> > connection to a WPA-PEAP access point works like a charm, as do most of
> > the other encryption-authorization schemes you might want. No need to
> > pay any attention to configuring wpa_supplicant.
>
> OK spurred on by both your comments I fired up NetworkManager and
> NetworkManagerDispatcher, and got KnetworkManager running (I use KDE)
>
> Filled in the blanks but in fact used the certificate in /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem
> and it connected.  However it is not stable
>   and the connection keeps dropping.
>
> So I guess this points to a bug or other problem with wpa_supplicant?
>
> Anyway I am very pleased at getting a connection with this for the first time.
> However I would like to know why NM connects but wpa_supplicant does not!
>
> Thanksfor your help... I will certainly explore NM a bit more now.

Well there is one more thing you need to do. That is to stop
the /etc/init.d script network. chkconfig network off
will do that. If network is running at the same time as NM I would
expect the connection dropping you experience.

Forget about trying to configuure wpa_supplicant. NM does that. My
wpa_supplicant.conf file looks like this:

ctrl_interface_group=wheel

network={
        ssid="any"
        key_mgmt=NONE
}
As you can see it is not doing much configuration.
Once you've tried to change the world you find it's a whole bunch easier
to change your mind.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net