How can I prevent terminal boot messages from being cleared

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Oct 19 19:57:05 UTC 2007

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 09:45 -0700, dreeser2-store at yahoo.com wrote:
>> I have wondered about this for a long time. Thanks
>> for what you have provided.
>> However; After putting in --noclear, it was stated
>> that you could scroll the terminal to see the
>> messages. I haven't been able to figure out how to do
>> that. Could you give instructions. I am a screen
>> farther than I used to be but would like to go back
>> further, if possible.
>>  As a follow on, is there a way to freeze or print the
>> bios messages that come up during boot describing the
>> discs?
>>  I tried pushing the "PrintScr" button and either
>> nothing happened or I don't know where to look for the
>> output.
>> Any help would be much appreciated.
>>

> <shift>-PgUp and <shift>-PgDn I believe.

This will let you scroll back, with a couple of limits. One is that
when you switch from one VT to another, you normally lose the
scroll-back buffer for the first VT. I have not checked in a while,
but the last time I tried it, shifting between a VT running X and
one running the CLI would also do that. (Using a frame buffer for
CLI is different, but is not the default on a PC.)

You can sometimes pause the display using Ctrl-S or the Pause key.
Printing the screen from the CLI is harder. I used to use something
like "cat /dev/vcs1 > screen.txt" or "cat /dev/vcsa1 > screen.vcsa",
but a normal user can no longer do that. If you have gpm running,
you can copy and paste using hte mouse buttons to save the text to a
file.

Mikkel