Grub Manual

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Fri Oct 19 20:57:53 UTC 2007

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
:    Still think Grub Manual stinks.

I don't know if I would use just that adjective, as I, in fact
have learned to use Grub (after a fashion) by reading the Info page.

That said, I spent more than an hour last evening trying to find out
how to use the advanced "fallback" features.

The documentation is down-right misleading.  It talks prominently
about "grub-set-default" which does not seem to exist in F7 or FC6.

Spending lots of time on Google, I found reference to a "savefault"
command In the (poorly written) example that someone provided.  It
appeared to be a command-line command.  Nope, no such command on my
system.

Back to Info. Its only reference there is as a grub.conf directive,
not as a replacement for the mysterious "grub-set-default" command.

Finally I guessed that it might be a grub shell command. I fire up
the grub shell, type "help", and it's not there.  Nor is it
in the grub man page.

I don't remember what led me to the grub shell again, but to my
surprise, it really was an (evidently undocumented) grub shell
command; I tried, (much later) to fire up the grub shell and do
command completion on "s".  There it was!  Of course, I'm not sure
just how to use it since there's no docs. I suppose I'll have to waste
another couple of hours (making my system unbootable several times)
before I discover how to do the advanced fallback stuff.

All this to is to say that the Grub docs are in serious need of
updating.  I'm not a n00by and I'm pretty persistent.  How many who
_are_ n00bies or are less persistent simply go elsewhere with a bad
attitude toward Fedora, Linux, or both?

Dean