KDE confusion under F7

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Oct 19 23:29:23 UTC 2007

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> John Summerfield <debian <at> herakles.homelinux.org> writes:
>> Where were you when NULL came out?
>
> Do we really have to rehash RH8 here now? As I said, this history lesson is
> entirely irrelevant to current Fedora.

It's the source of the so-called rumours, so it's relevant to my point.
(NULL and LIMBO were the RHL8 betas).

> But if you really want to know: I actually went from RHL 7.3 straight to FC1.
> At that point there had been lots of flames about Bluecurve, so I wasn't sure
> what was awaiting me. I decided to just try it out, and liked it, to the point
> where I'm still using it now in Fedora 7 and even ported it to Qt 4.

Obviously there were people who liked it, but there were lots who went
elsewhere when I did.

>> I installed it with KDE and Gnome, and found I had to look closely to
>> tell the difference.
>
> I know what you're talking about there, I've seen the screenshots and to some

And that's my point.

> extent it was still like that in FC1 (though these customizations were already

which goes to explain why it wasn't as bad as I remembered when I tried
(and used) FC3.

> on their way back out, the similarity was higher in RHL 8 and 9). I don't
> really see the problem there, it was just a matter of default settings. Mainly
> just how the taskbar and menu were set up. That said, Red Hat quickly figured
> out that this amount of consistency wasn't actually necessary because a desktop
> is only running either GNOME or KDE on the same screen at the same time, so
> they gradually removed those customizations in Fedora. The default settings for
> both KDE and GNOME in Fedora 7 look like a lot more like the respective
> upstream defaults than like each other.

When one is installing and using lots of systems, fixing them all
becomes tedious.

>> It was the immediate cause of my not upgrading past RHL 7.3, and a very
>> talented and all-round good gent, Bero, left RH over it. He was
>> responsible for KDE, he had his own website of extras for KDE (including
>> advocacy stuff),it was he who added DVD burning to cdrecord, and I think
>> it was he who made the first rescue disks.
>
> It was sad to see Bero go indeed. He was doing a lot of stuff, he also did much
> of the GCC 2.96 work (another endless source of flames, but in that case he was

and much misinformation from folks such as those at MySQL.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait