Grub Manual

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 03:11:13 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:

> You should do your homework now, and make a proper effort at
> understanding the existing GRUB documentation. It may be difficult to
> understand (though I don't find it so),

Is there a sure-fire way to know the right 'root (hdx,0)' invocation
when you are installing grub on the 2nd disk of a raid1 pair when you
expect the drive id to shift in case the primary drive dies (scsi) or
when you don't (ide)?  Of course in the IDE case many failure modes will
make the machine not boot until you remove the dead one, in which case
you might as well shift it to the primary position anyway, and you'd
still like it to boot.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com