Grub Manual

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Oct 20 11:58:13 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> Just out of curiosity, can you touch-type properly?  (As apposed to self
>> taught, or hunt and peck.)  I've yet to come across anybody with wrist
>> problems who was taught how to type on a manual typewriter.

Frank Cox:
> My wife had terrible carpal tunnel problems (to the point where she required
> surgery as she could no longer pick up a pencil) and she types "right" (as do
> I).  So now you have heard of one.

Yours was the first case I'd heard about.  I don't/didn't discount the
possibility, but it's only since the computer age that I've heard of
this condition coming to light.  Certainly as a widespread thing, rather
than the odd individual injuries from work that we don't hear about.

For further curiosity's sake, did she acquire the injury while using
computer keyboards?

I learnt on manual typewriters, and while a painful thing to do at
times, I think the aches stop you from working too far.  Computer
keyboards, on the other hand (pun intended), do lead you to working very
prolonged periods not moving much from where you are (hands, and body),
doing awkward movements with your fingers, particular with some hotkey
combinations.

I'd always found that typing as if at a typewriter, where you really
flex your fingers and strike the keys, versus hovering over the computer
keys and making tiny precise movements, my fingers felt better.

If anything, it's the mouse that causes me pains.  If you can't get
things at a good height, you bend your hand backwards, and then further
lift your fingers awkwardly for the buttons and wheel.  Using one when
standing is terrible.  Then there's the awkward sideways movements.
I've certainly suffered sore neck and shoulder from that.

> We both find that using Microsoft Natural Keyboards makes typing a lot
> more comfortable.  And we both "live on computers".

I recently got one of those, and I'm beginning to like it.  Partially
that they've got the key pressure and movement depth pretty good, and
partially the curve.  Though it's next to impossible to type on one
one-handed, the curve goes the wrong way for that.

Stop sniggering in the back, it's from typing while talking to customers
on the phone, not sex chats...  ;-)

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.