Rootkit

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sat Oct 20 21:41:22 UTC 2007

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:29:53 -0600
Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:

>     I put rootkit in Google and learned they are mainly aimed at
> Windows.

Some are.

> I know Windows from about XP have a kernel but it really does
> little.

All operating systems have a kernel.  The kernel controls everything.  Your
statement is 100% incorrect.

The Commodore 64 has a kernel.  MSDOS has a kernel.  And so on.

> The rootkit designs I saw were aimed at the kernel for some  reason

Kernel rootkits make sense, if you're planning a rootkit.  Read my statement
above to see why.

> No where could I find mention of a Linux rootkit.

You didn't look very hard.  I can find all kinds of mention.  Type "kernel
rootkit" into google and enjoy.

Now... did you have any point to make when you posted your message, or a
question that you wanted to ask?