Transfer F7 partition to a new hard disk

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Oct 21 00:09:32 UTC 2007

Paul Smith wrote:
> On 10/20/07, Jonathan Dieter <jdieter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have just bought a new hard disk. Could someone please tell me how
>>> can I create a clone of my F7 partition in the new hard disk?
>> Just want to clarify: you want to clone a partition or a hard drive?
>> Will you leave the original hard drive in the computer or remove it
>> after you're done cloning it?
>
> Thanks, Jonathan. I want to remove the old hard disk after it is
> copied into a partition of the new hard disk.

Copying a drive (including partition table) to a partition is not a good
idea. Linux doesn't handle partition tables on, say, /dev/sda1.

What is likely to work, assuming your new drive is not smaller:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

This what I plan to do RSN, to copy my new computer's disk to a new,
larger one, RSN.

You can then resize the last physical partition, or simply enjoy the
extra space.

Note that if all of the 1,2,3 and 4 partition slots are used, then it's
more complicated.

--

Cheers
John