Experiencing the Grub Error 17

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 21:41:07 UTC 2007

On 10/22/07, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > My grub.conf file:
> > >
> > > # more /mnt/sdc2/grub/grub.conf
> > > # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> > > #
> > > # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> > > # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> > > #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> > > #          root (hd0,0)
> > > #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> > > #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> > > #boot=/dev/hda
> > > default=0
> > > timeout=5
> > > splashimage=(hd2,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> > > hiddenmenu
> > > title Fedora (2.6.22.9-91.fc7)
> > >         root (hd2,1)
> > >         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup/LogVol01
> > > rhgb
> > >         initrd /initrd-2.6.22.9-91.fc7.img
> > > title Fedora (2.6.22.7-85.fc7)
> > >         root (hd2,1)
> > >         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.7-85.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup/LogVol01
> > > rhgb
> > >         initrd /initrd-2.6.22.7-85.fc7.img
> > >
> > > Paul
> > >
> > Hi Paul,
> >  Sorry for the delay - busy day.
>
> Thats is OK, Mikkel!
>
> > I think a big part of your remaining problem is that you did not
> > update your grub.conf to reflect the BIOS mapping. Because of this,
> > Grub is looking for its files in the wrong place. If you change all
> > the hd2's to hd0's, things should work better. You will have to run
> > setup from the grub prompt, or run grub-install after booting from
> > the Linux drive. This because Grub uses the BIOS to access the
> > drive, so your config file has to reflect the BIOS mapping. When you
> > boot from the Linux drive, the drive becomes hd0 instead of hd2. You
> > should not need any map directives, and the kernel should boot fine
> > because you are a label to define the Linux root directory.
>
> I have meanwhile been able to copy the entire /dev/sdc3 to /dev/sda1,
> and /dev/sdc2 to /dev/sda2. So the two logical volumes are now in
> /dev/sda (larger and faster disk). The device /dev/sda is a SATA disk;
> the other an IDE one.
>
> I can boot in F7 in /dev/sda (the new disk) using the grub.conf in
> /dev/sda2 and the other volume in /dev/sda1. However, I always get the
> grub prompt when booting. I just need to run the command
>
> configfile (hd0,1)/grub/grub.conf
>
> and the machine starts booting correctly. The question now is: how can
> I avoid the grub prompt when booting?

In addition, I get the following:

# /sbin/grub-install /dev/sda
/dev/root does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
# /sbin/grub-install /dev/sda1
/dev/root does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
# /sbin/grub-install /dev/sda2
/dev/root does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
#

Mysteriously, /dev/sda is now the device with the highest priority in the BIOS.

Paul