Convert avi and vob files to ipod video format

How can I convert either *.avi or *.vob files to a format that can be synced to my new iPod Nano -- the wide one? 8 Gb. I have no previous iPod experience. Then I sync this with Amarok? I have a teacher who sends everyone in the class *.avi video files and I'd love to play them back on the Nano. I also want to see if I can copy a James Bond movie DVD to the iPod and play the movie.

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA