Rootkit

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Tue Oct 23 09:23:55 UTC 2007

On 10/22/07, Jordi Prats <jprats at cesca.es> wrote:
> About this discussion, chkrootkit are for live systems, isn't it?
> There's any tool to do rootkit analysis on a "dead" system?
>
> I'm thinking of check for rootkits on snapshots of the file system of a
> virtual machine to determine if the running virtual machine is compromised.

Use -r switch? As long as you can mount the dead system as a (possbily
ro) filesystem, I don't see why not.

Dave

 chkrootkit --help
Usage: /usr/lib/chkrootkit-0.47/chkrootkit [options] [test ...]
        -h                show this help and exit
        -V                show version information and exit
        -l                show available tests and exit
        -d                debug
        -q                quiet mode
        -x                expert mode
        -r dir            use dir as the root directory
        -p dir1:dir2:dirN path for the external commands used by chkrootkit
        -n                skip NFS mounted dirs