not possible

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 13:01:07 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:

>>>     That does not sound like progress. But it sounds different and would
>>> mean you cannot live without labels and the whole thing will be a mess
>>> to understand.
>>>

>> As a matter of interest, why do you find partition labels difficult to
>> use,
>> or hard to understand?
>>

>    LABEL=/ used by F7 only tells me that it is a partition. I have zero
> information as to where it is. Replaced by "/dev/sda3" tells me exactly
> where it is.

It's easier to understand the problem after you have several disks that
all have LABEL=/ applied by someone's fedora install and you are trying
to assemble a working machine with some extra drives.

But /dev/sda3 isn't all that definitive either, especially if you
sometimes boot with usb devices attached or one of the drives in your
scsi chain fails or is removed and all the others shift up.  I always
thought that sysvr4 got it right with their controller/target/lun syntax
so you could describe the physical device (/dev/c0t0l0) instead of
letting the system guess.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com