Rootkit

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Oct 23 22:12:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 00:02 +0200, Jordi Prats wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm refering that on a dead filesystem witch is the best tool to check
> if there is any rootkit.

"chkrootkit -r /path/to/dead/filesystem" will check a dead filesystem
for most of the common rootkits.  It won't find all of them, however.

> I do not want to check listening ports because it would check the wrong
> machine.

You can't check for listening ports unless the system is live.  In that
case, you'd use nmap--preferably from a different system or from some
unwritable media so you know you're using an uncompromised version of
nmap.

> Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 23:16 +0200, Jordi Prats wrote:
> >> But it does check for some listening ports. There is not a better tool
> >> for that?
> >
> > The best tool for that is nmap (or for the GUI users, nmap-fe).
> >
> >> Maybe a combination of chkrootkit -d with some AV? Any recomendation?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Jordi

> > - Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
> > - CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
> > -                       When in doubt, mumble.                       -

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
- Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3--not even for large values of 2. -