Re: USB drive on server?

Tim wrote:
On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 16:32 -0700, Ted Marshall wrote:
The result is that the flash drive will burn out much faster than the statistics quoted. How much faster, I am unable to compute. It may still be adequate for your needs. I don't know.

You could pick a cheapie and deliberately try to kill it off.  A friend
of mine killed one off very rapidly by using it for his web browser
cache.  ;-)

Depending on how you use your computer, you could try using it for some
of /var, or /tmp, to grind it hard.

Some years ago, someone on one of these lists - probably back in Valhalla's time, reported clobbering his cf first time he used it.

Folk surmised it was because it was automounted with the sync option, preventing writes from being cached.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait