Re: dd command to clear start of harddrive

Nigel Henry wrote:
This is not directly Fedora related.

I connect to the Internet through my Smoothwall, and a serial modem. Recently the machine that the Smoothwall is running on has been playing up. Harddrive spinning up and down. I have another older machine (1.33GHz, 64MB RAM, and 6GB harddrive) which had Win 2000 pro on it, and was trying to install a backup Smoothwall on it. The Smoothwall installs ok, and lilo is installed, but when I reboot the BIOS does the memory check, and all I get next is half a screenfull of "40's" printed out. they remain for a few seconds, then I just get a prompt that I can't do anything with.

I am wondering if something has been left behind on the harddrive from the Win 2000 install, that linux has not been able to remove.

Almost certainly that is not the problem,

You need to read the lilo documentation, it will probably explain to you exactly what is wrong.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait