compiling kernel the fedora way

Hi,

I'd like to compile my own kernel. I want to use the default Fedora version as base but tweak a few flags. There is a procedure which describes how to do this at http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_fedora. Unfortunately, it's almost a year old.
Is it [still] the right way to do this?

Assumptions I'm making (please correct if I'm wrong):
* loading .config (following the steps on that page) loads the default Fedora-specified options, not vanilla kernel options. * modules will be built into a separate directory (with the word "custom" in it) so they won't interfere with official Fedora kernel modules. This is kind of important since I might specify some options that will make my new kernel unbootable - and I want to use the default as backup if that happens.

Thanks