Re: BIOS upgrading

Marcel Janssen wrote:
On Friday 26 October 2007, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
For Dell systems it is particularly trivial under linux:

http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Oss/Firmware_Tools
http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Repository/firmware

firmware-tools and firmware-dell-addons are in the Fedora repos (yum
install firmware*).

There is also the biosdisk tool which automates creating a bootable
dos image with the firmware added, and adding it to the bootloader

http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml    (scroll down a bit to biosdisk).

That looks nice. I wish some mainboard supplier would supply something like this. Perhaps next time I should consider buying a dell instead of building my own machine. It certainly would have saved quite a bit of time today.

Dell desktops I've seen are very nice to work on. Typically, two buttons to rear of case, top swings up and over, and one can see everything. RAM slots are exposed, ready to install more. In the GX270, the latest I've seen, CD and HDD are on rails, they just unclip and slide out, then one can sit down and work on the screws in comfort.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait