media descriptor issue help please

Itamar Reis Peixoto itamar at ispbrasil.com.br
Sat Oct 27 04:28:38 UTC 2007

mount /dev/sdb1 -t vfat win

--------------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto

e-mail/msn: itamar at ispbrasil.com.br
skype: itamarjp
icq: 81053601
+55 11 4063 5033
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: garys at email.com
  To: For users of Fedora
  Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2007 1:24 AM
  Subject: Re: media descriptor issue help please

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Dave Stevens"
    To: fedora-list at redhat.com
    Subject: media descriptor issue help please
    Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:04:20 -0700

    Hi,

    I have a F7 box that works fine. Recently a Windows computer was hit by a
    stray 220 volt jolt and the power supply died. I will in due course replace
    the power supply and see if the mobo is hooped, but for the moment I am
    really interested in seeing if I can recover the data off the drive. I've put
    the drive, a Seagate ATA 40 gig into the F7 drive where it lives alongside
    the primary (F7) drive, a Seagate SATA 320.

    The BIOS correctly detects the type and model of the ATA drive and the dmesg
    messages indicate that it is correctly detected. The BIOS messages state the
    capacity and interface correctly and say that S.M.A.R.T. is enabled and no
    errors are detected. If I set the box to boot from the ATA drive Windows XP
    tries to boot and offers a set of boot options. No matter which one I choose
    Windows starts to boot then acts as if it can't deal with the drastically
    different hardware it finds and reboots.

    This leads me to believe that there is recoverable data on the drive but I
    can't mount it in F7. Messages from dmesg read in part as below:

    ata7: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x00000000000101f0 ctl 0x00000000000103f6 bmdma
    0x000000000001ffa0 irq 14
    ata8: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x0000000000010170 ctl 0x0000000000010376 bmdma
    0x000000000001ffa8 irq 15
    ata7.00: ATA-6: ST340810A, 3.39, max UDMA/100
    ata7.00: 78165360 sectors, multi 16: LBA
    ata7.00: configured for UDMA/100

    The drive is jumpered and cabled as primary master

    A mounting attempt onto empty directory /mnt/win gives :

    [root at localhost mnt]# mount /dev/sdb -t vfat win
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb,
    missing codepage or other error
    dmesg | tail or so

    [root at localhost mnt]# dmesg | tail
    Bluetooth: HIDP (Human Interface Emulation) ver 1.2
    ip6_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
    ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
    Netfilter messages via NETLINK v0.30.
    nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (8192 buckets, 65536 max)
    eth0: no IPv6 routers present
    hfs: unable to find HFS+ superblock
    hfs: unable to find HFS+ superblock
    FAT: invalid media value (0xb9)
    VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdb.

    So it seems that there is an invalid media descriptor on the ATA drive. But
    the information seems to not be conclusive because in fact the Windows boot
    sector is detected and a partial boot into Windows does in fact take place. I
    don't know what to make of this or what to do next.

    Ideas? Diagnostics?

    Dave

    I have an adapter ide=usb with power supply ( about $20 US ) for just such a problem - allows you to read
    the disk without booting issues - like a flash drive. Knoppix is sometimes helpful as well.   ----gary

  --
  Want an e-mail address like mine?