can't read from a Ricoh SD (Secure Digital) card reader

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 28 11:45:38 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> I'd like to hear if anybody else suggests to do the same thing, as well,
>> before I install something from development.  But I wonder if just
>> identifying the part is going to be enough to make use of it.

David Timms:
> Basically, what is in development on Tuesday, will be F8, so I don't
> think it's that scary. And the hwinfo, may only give names to those
> PCI-ids. It would be easy to revert to the original CD or repo's hwdata rpm.

I suppose it sounds easy enough to undo, but I was also thinking that
it'd only give a name to the polled results, rather than help make use
of the device.

> The contents of hwdata: rpm -q --fileprovide hwdata
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> /usr/share/doc/hwdata-0.200
> /usr/share/doc/hwdata-0.200/COPYING
> /usr/share/doc/hwdata-0.200/LICENSE
> /usr/share/hwdata
> /usr/share/hwdata/MonitorsDB
> /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids
> /usr/share/hwdata/upgradelist
> /usr/share/hwdata/usb.ids
> /usr/share/hwdata/videoaliases
> /usr/share/hwdata/videodrivers
>
> udev can also be updated independently.
> Trying to update hal brings in about 80 f8 packages.
> You could also install the devel kernel to check if that has additional
> capabilities - it's easy enough to select the f7 kernel if it is no go.

I was hoping to avoid doing anything major.  It's not too much of an
issue to re-install if I have to.  It's a laptop with only a few local
files on it.

If anybody already using devel, or the test for the next release, and
has one of these Ricoh readers, it'd be good to hear about.

> By the way, what ubuntu kernel version was running when it was detected OK ?

I'm really in unfamiliar territory, but uname ought to do the trick:

tim at suspishus:~$ uname --all
Linux suspishus 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 23:05:12 GMT 2007
i686 GNU/Linux

--
Using FC 4 - 7, CentOS 5, plus Ubuntu.  Now, it's Ubuntu.

I read messages from the public lists.