nvidia

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Oct 28 14:17:55 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 06:44 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> You might have a nvidia video card on your motherboard. There are
>> two choices here. Try to use the nvidia or turn it off and plug in your
>> old known video card. Today I wish I had done the latter because using
>> nvidia with f7 is a pain.
>>

> That depends on which card you have.  I've two here that were easy
> enough.  One fairly old, one quite new.

    I have one that is VERY HARD. You see if you can get the name of
your cards. I will look for mine. We can then steer Linux users away
from mine.

>>     I really do not see a new Linux user ever getting his/her computer
>> working with nvidia. You need to go to the nvidia web page and get a
>> tarball and install it, not a new person's thing, or you can get 4 rpm
>> files and learn to use --nodeps at the proper time.
>>

> No, you don't.  Well, maybe *you* do, but not everybody.  I enabled the
> Livna repo (which I use for more than just nvidia), yum installed
> kmod-nvidia-something_or_other, and that was virtually it.

    I do too have Livna eneabled so I can get VLC the best image and
sound device on Linux. I also have 2 kmod-nvidia... files on my computer
now.
> Some older cards may be a bit more of a hassle.  Some other cards from
> other companies may be a total impossibility.

    We are talking here about a new card on a new motherboard that is a
nvidia card. It stinks!
>>     A bug I keep forgetting to file is the following. A really bad
>> problem with nvidia is the missing pointer when X windows boots up. You
>> can do nothing! This is fixed by edit of the /etc/X11/xrog.conf file
>> adding you want to use a software pointer.
>>
>>     But this will not work if grub.conf has a kernel directive to use
>> rhxxx which hides the boot up output. While that standard kernel
>> directive exists you can not get a pointer period.
>>
>>     This bug makes f7 and I expect f8 useless to a new user with nvidia.
>>

> RHGB is not compulsory, and the pointer bug only exists with some cards.
> It doesn't with mine.

    I see, all 10 of your nvidia equipt computers have never shown you a
missing pointer? Amazing.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User