nvidia

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Oct 28 20:45:00 UTC 2007

Bruce Byfield wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-28-10 at 13:58 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>>     For God's sake why is something that you can d/l from their web site
>> in the USA be illegal in the USA? Why does it not meet the Fedora
>> policy? Where can I read the policy?
>>

> Try the front page of the Fedora project. For more detail, see
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview
>

>>     If your stating the intent of the policy is to diminish the
>> availability of Fedora to new users then the policy needs to change.
>>

> The fact that, earlier this month, the Fedora marketing list was
> considering adapting the slogan "Freedom is a feature" should tell you
> something. Fedora's policy is to ship nothing that isn't free software
> -- and drivers whose code is proprietary don't meet the definition, even
> if they are free for the download.
>
> This policy is such a cornerstone of Fedora that it is highly unlikely
> to change.
>
> Other distributions have different policies. If using the non-free
> drivers provided by NVidia is a priority for you, then, with all
> respect, perhaps you should look into them instead of using Fedora.

    You didn't need to mention that I have a choice. I can change to
Windows which due to it's cost includes what a person with my computer
needs to work. Fedora does not and plans if your accurate to make it
even harder for a user to use your free product. That sounds counter
productive to me.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User