Excessive bounces on this list

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Oct 29 14:23:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 09:25 +1100, Simon Slater wrote:
> Just on the technical side, what actually causes the bounce?  If my
> allocation on the ISP is full I understand that.  Otherwise is it
> their spam filtering

That's one likely reason (your mailbox being too full at the time).  It
could also be that the entire ISP's mail system was too full or too
busy, from time to time.  Or there was a networking problem between your
ISP and the list.

If your ISP uses greylisting, it rejects initial postings expecting the
sending server to try again, later.  Some senders will take the initial
rejection and never try again.  Some will try again later, but the
"later" could be minutes, hours, or days later.  If the ISP uses really
crap greylisting, it might reject the resend, too.

There's other anti-spam techniques that can backfire, too.  If they
don't like the look of the mail (mail not addressed "to" one of their
users, as list mail isn't; the same message being received by many of
their users; mail coming from lists, etc.).  Some spam filtering is
less-than well thought out.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.