nvidia

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 18:14:44 UTC 2007

Andy Green wrote:

>> The issue is theoretical at best.  In the unlikely event that access to
>> a video card breaks due to undiscovered bugs in the original _and_
>> vendor refusal to fix it, I'd expect it to be cheaper to either replace
>> Linux or the card than to hire an expert to temporarily revive the
>> now-dead combination.
>
> Well whatever your other complaints, I really don't think you take into
> account the developer suffering that happens from the unsupported
> reverse engineering aspect that is often part of the drivers.

Not only do I not take it into account, I can't understand why anyone
thinks this is desirable compared to using drivers written and
maintained by the engineers that build the hardware and have the test
equipment to diagnose it.

> More than that though I myself have taken advantage of a kernel driver
> blowing a panic to look through the source and fix the problem, and send
> a patch describing and fixing to problem, which was accepted.

Again, this doesn't sound like a desirable scenario compared to using
something that already works.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com