BIOS upgrading

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Oct 29 21:48:34 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:

> I've long assumed, but not tried it, that one can put a standard boot
> sector (LILO, MSDOS or Grub) on a USB disk with every prospect of
> success and good fortune.
>
> I can't see why one would need to be different from, say, a laptop drive
> in a USB enclosure, and I've seen a mate boot linux from one of those.

Both USB memory drives, and USB hard drives work fine as long as
your BIOS support them. If you use Grub or LILO for your boot
loader, you have to remember that the USB drive will be BIOS drive
80, or Grub device hd0, when you boot on most systems. If you format
a USB drive like a floppy, instead of a hard drive, this may not be
the case - it may be treated as a USB floppy drive.

Mikkel