nvidia

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 22:20:03 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:

>>> Honestly if these drives were as important to me as you say that they are
>>> for you and that they worked with a different distro I would have switched
>>> a long, long time ago.
>> I did - and the Centosplus kernels have not given me any unpleasant
>> surprises.
>

> Interesting. CentOS 5 was supposed ti be  based on Fedora Core 6 work so
> now I wonder just what the difference(s) are?

The difference is that RHEL (the sources that Centos recompiles) cares
enough about their user base to maintain a stable kernel interface for
the life of the distribution version - which is much longer than
fedora's.  The down side is that applications don't get version upgrades
as the distro version ages, just security and bugfix updates.

> As for Fedora itself. Since you no longer use it why to you care anymore?

I have more than one machine, so I track fedora  on a box that I can
afford to have fail to boot on occasion to know what to expect from the
next RHEL/Centos.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com