nvidia

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 06:21:27 UTC 2007

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>>> The difference is that closed source OS's rarely change their
>>> driver interfaces, so it would be extremely unusual for something
>>> that already works and I have put into production to suddenly fail
>>> due to an update.
>> I find this an astonishing assertion. Surely the Linux kernel
>> interface changes reasonably often?
>
> um ... no.  the kernel *internal* interfaces may change, but the
> interface that is presented to the outside world is very stable.
>
> http://lxr.linux.no/source/Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt

That's fine if you believe that the linux kernel will always include
every device driver, filesystem, and feature you'll ever want.  Don't
ask me to join you in that leap of faith (or arrogance, or whatever it
is that makes you think interoperability is unnecessary).  Even if
deprive yourself of devices not handled by Linux drivers, vmware is just
too handy to avoid.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com