nvidia blues

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Oct 30 14:37:32 UTC 2007

Chris Jones wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>    I had nvidia running fine on this computer using the kmod-nvidia
>> files that come from fedora. Then I was told about better nvidia
>> software from their web site. I got it and tried to install it on
>> this computer. It did not install and it ruined the older nvidia.
>
> Not a good idea to do that.
>
> Note that the livna driver is *exactly* the same as the one you got
> from the nvidia site, just repackaged as an rpm. There is nothing
> "better" about it.
>
> Just my opinion, but I would always recommend the rpm based driver
> over the standard nvidia installer any day. In my opinion it simply
> interacts better with fedora systems (understandable, since the nvidia
> installer has to work with any generic linux system,, whereas the
> fedora rpm can be fine tuned to fedora).
>
> Jusrt a warning, but if carry on with the official nvidia installer,
> you are going to have to rerun the installer by hand for each new
> kernel you install. The livna Personally I would try and go back to
> the livna rpm since then you can ue the yum kmod plugin that means you
> will automatically get the the kmod for each new kernel installed for
> you, each time. Plus, in my opinion the rpm installation acts more
> sanly when things go wrong, falling back to the nv driver.
>
> Chris

    I can not disagree with you on most, but the quality of the color
from the run package IS superior. I have lots of pictures and display
stuff with VLC and the colors are better.

    The job to do when a new kernel shows up is very simple and takes a
minute. That is faster than my Internet. I am going to write myself a
note on all the things I learned this morning. The guy who wants to quit
using rpm's on Fedora should read what they can do!

    So I am happy with the run file and will send another email with
exact instructions on getting the right one (it took me 2 tries).

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User