nvidia

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Tue Oct 30 15:04:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 05:45 -0400, David Boles wrote:
> on 10/29/2007 10:44 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > David Boles wrote:

> >> I thought that they, VMware, fixed that with 6.0x.
> >
> > Version 6.0 of what?  I don't see how they can fix it permanently
> > without a sane interface on the Linux side to interoperate with.
>

> Version 6.0 of VMware. Are you using an older version? There were some

VMware Workstation, in particular, is at version 6.0.2.  Other VMware
products have their own numbering schemes.

> problems when 'they' (Linux folks) moved and renamed the kernel header
> files. It was fixed with a patch to the VMware config file. Either d/l and
> apply the patch or use your favorite text editor on the config. This was
> discussed to death, like this subject's thread, several times.

VMware modules currently build OK, but still need to be rebuilt at every
kernel upgrade.  If the module API changes again, then VMware users will
all be back to using unofficial vmware-any-any patches to hack together
something that works.

That's for the VM itself.  VMware Tools (for the client machine) have
the same issues: require rebuilding for kernel updates, patches when the
module API changes.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences