DHCP & DNS [OT]

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Oct 31 01:06:22 UTC 2007

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tue October 30 2007, John Summerfield wrote:
>>> If anybody would like more details, just let me know.
>> As one who has a Linksys wrt54g (one of those revisions that's
>> compatible) I'm very interested in this, and any more information you
>> can offer.
>>
>> In particular, what can you do now that you couldn't before?
>>
>> I've been sorely tempted to upgrade it to non-linksys firmware; one of
>> the problems I have is it tends to die under load, requiring a reset,
>> and if there's nobody around, a reset is fairly inconvenient.
>
> Flashing my Linksys is also on my wish/todo-list. There's much discussion
> about running Firewall Builder in that environment, and how much more capable
> your firewall can be using that scenario. There's links to that information
> from the Firewall Builder web site.
>
> I'm also wondering how you've concluded, John, that it's the load causing your
> Linksys to die. I too have a problem of frequently losing the connection

My wireless links from house to office (down the back of the block) is
(was) slower than my ADSL (Until yesterday I had an 11b link).

the linksys sometimes fails when I'm transferring a large file, and very
reliably crashed when I was running X through it.

> between my wireless devices and the router, which is cured by a reboot. I got
> around to looking up troubleshooting faqs on the Linksys website yesterday,
> and they specifically suggested the possibility of wireless phone system
> interference (wireless home phone system, not cell phone). They suggested
> changing the Linksys channel from the default 6 to either channel 1 or 11 --
> I've set mine to 11 and so far, so good - it's only been about 36 hours, so
> it's a bit early to tell.

The total distance isn't great, but there are sheets of colourbond
(painted steel sheeting) in the path, so I have configured a rout around
it using the Linksys, and a D-link (chosen from a selection of one).
Both are prone to dropping).

--

Cheers
John