To remain in summer time.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Oct 31 14:20:23 UTC 2007

Strong wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:57:17 -0500 "Mikkel L. Ellertson"
> <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>> Strong wrote:
>>> Is it possible to remain system's time in the summer time for now
>>> even though I use ntping for sync.? I would not to change the time
>>> whole year long on my laptop. How I can do that?
>>>
>> Set the system time zone to the proper offset from UTC, instead of
>> one of the names time zones. (GMT+x or GMT-x)
>>
>> The offsets are still expresses from GMT instead of UTC...
>>
>> Mikkel
>
> Is it correct solution if I just make a symbolic link of /etc/localtime
> to /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC ? But how I cab adjust offset then?
> Should I do anything else than this? Will it not be reset at reboot?

It is much easier to run setup as root, pick Timezone configuration,
and then select the correct GMT value. Even though GMT and UTC are
not exactly the same, the differences will not matter to you here.
One of these days, all the GMT+x and GMT-x will probably be replaced
by UTC+x and UTC-x but for now, you will need something like GMT+5
for your timezone. The exact value depends on your location, and the
time you want displayed.

Mikkel