No

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 23:58:33 UTC 2007

Ian Malone wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>    I will wear it and just read info dd for about the 4th time in 5
>> days. The first time I read it I was not aware that dd sends
>> Everything including the file system. The info dd does not say this.
>>

> "Copy a file, converting and formatting according to the operands."
> You applied it to a block device.  Maybe it would have been worth
> knowing what you were doing.

This has nothing to do with dd.  It is just a side effect of the unix
'everything is a file' concept that lets you access raw devices and
partitions by opening their device names.  Anything that knows how to
copy files can copy them.  dd is just traditional and has some
reblocking options that are useful with tape devices, but cp will copy
raw devices too if you want.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com