changing passwd hashing -> /etc/shadow

Mike azmr at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 3 05:03:01 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007, Technomage-hawke wrote:

> I posted this question previously on 2 mailing lists (the other one rejected
> the posting due to it also being directed here).
>
> This is generic to all distros, but I am using fedora-7 on a project and would
> like to know where this can be changed at.
>
> Currently, my FC-7 install is using the default md5 hashing in /etc/shadow.
> unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any information on how to change
> this, let alone where.
>
> anyone have some useful links that can help (I've tried google, but all I've
> managed to get flooded with is encryption whitepapers and things unrelated to
> linux).
>
> thanks.
>
> TMH

Don't know if this will help, but I'm pretty sure way back when MD5 was
starting to be used over DES there was a file in /etc/pam.d that you had
to add 'md5' to.  Don't recall the file; it's probably changed anyway.
You only had the choice of DES or MD5 (DES was used unless md5 was in that
file).  Don't know if that's still true.  Anyway maybe this will help
direct your searches...

-- Mike