Rsync

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Sep 3 20:22:31 UTC 2007

Paul Ward wrote:
> Hi Peeps,
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to use rsync to back up an ftp site
> that uses a password.
>
> I am aware of rsync://[USER@]HOST[:PORT]/SRC [DEST] but how do I
> handle the password?
>
> If this is not possible does it mean I have to use sftp?
>
> Thanks in advance

I think you don't quite understand rsync.

There are two sides to any transfer.  The client side and the server side.
The site holding the data, in your case the "ftp site", needs to have the
rsync server configured to allow a client to connect and transfer data.  It
doesn't use the ftp protocol at all.  From the man page....

DESCRIPTION
   rsync  is  a program that behaves in much the same way that rcp does, but
   has many more options  and  uses  the  rsync  remote-update  protocol  to
   greatly  speed  up  file  transfers  when  the  destination file is being
   updated.

See the rsync man page for additional information on connection options.

So, if you have access to the "ftp site" and can configure the rsync server
on it...or if the "ftp site" supports or the owner will support rsync you
can use it.  Otherwise you'll have to use alternate tools.