Upgrade 6 -> 7 not working.

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Tue Sep 4 21:29:44 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 22:52 +0100, fb wrote:
> I tryed to upgrade the fc6 with the Fedora 7 DVD.
> Installation menu offered the upgrade of the recent
> version on hda2, but after my choose that version I got an
> error message:
>
> Error mounting device hda2 as / : no such file or directory
> devices in /etc/fstab .
> Should be specified by label, not by device name.
> Click to reboot.
>
> What can I do?
>
> TIA: fb
----
boot with disk again in rescue mode

check logs (I think <Control><Alt><F3> but could be <Control><Alt><F4>)
and see if the storage is /dev/sda instead of /dev/hda - many storage
devices (especially SATA) will change with the newer kernels).

chroot to installation (chroot /mnt/sysimage)

if that is it...edit /etc/fstab to reflect the changes...

probably not necessary but install grub loader just in case...

grub-install /dev/sda # again assuming that your hard drive is
                      # now /dev/sda and not /dev/hda)
reboot

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>