OT: Acrobat Reader needs plugin?

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Wed Sep 5 01:46:01 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 18:31 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 20:13 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> > I have some PDFs which Acrobat claims needs the "file open" plugin.
> > Does anyone know what this is, what it does, and why Acrobat Reader
> > wants me to get it?
> >
> > Thanks
> ----
> very light on details - crystal ball hazy...
>
> try running (depending upon your version of Acrobat Reader)
>
> /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/install_browser_plugin
>
> Craig

I checked with a website that uses digital rights management (DRM)
software that requires the FileOpen plugin for Acrobat.  I checked with
the site (www.xanedu.com) and they only support Windows and Mac.  The
plugin is OS-specific (I looked).

I can't see how install_browser_plugin would work, but it's worth a
shot.  I haven't fiddled with install_browser_plugin before.

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting,
Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution.