kernel panic

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Sep 6 12:28:37 UTC 2007

Jacques B. wrote:
>> What I did was update the copy from the F7DVD which gave me the original
>> kernel that boots up. I have a lot of things to fix but the basic system
>> is running. Yes the effort to try and fix initrd was a bag of worms you
>> do not want to try. I got very upset because things were not as they
>> said in the man pages.
>>
>> Sorry I was so grumpy but it really looked bad. But now it works. I'm on
>> the new computer with a head on my pointer and Thunderbird works.
>>

>>         Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>>

> Excellent. I suspect the settings in grub.conf was at issue.  Because
> unless your new system had the same type of drive (IDE or SATA) on the
> same bus, grub.conf would most likely be pointing to the wrong
> location for the stage 2 boot loader (hence kernel panic).  By running
> the recovery from the boot DVD it no doubt went in and recognized your
> hardware,made the proper entries in grub.conf for the stage 2 boot
> loader and likely updated your hardware configuration file(s) (I say
> likely but I am not certain if it would have done that or if that
> would have happened on re-boot).
>
> When I saw all the advice you were getting, knowing a bit more of what
> you likely attempted to do, I realized that the advice was given based
> on what you provided in this thread but likely without the knowledge
> of the background of what you had done.
>
> Jacques B.

No! Grub was working fine. Booting to the kernel worked fine. But the
information in the kernel supporting files is for the old computer. To
change those I had to re-load F7 and that gave me the proper data for
this other computer.

It is working now and I am glad. The thought of a new start was bad due
to all the updates I would get again.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User