kernel panic

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Sep 6 18:30:24 UTC 2007

Jacques B. wrote:
> On 9/6/07, Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:
>
>> Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>>

>>> The title of this thread - "kernel panic" - tells me that it was not
>>> booting to the kernel (stage 2 boot loader).  So either grub was wrong
>>> (looking at the wrong drive/partition because the settings were from
>>>
>> No if I understood it, it was booting the kernel fine.  After it ran out
>> of initrd though, it was unable to find the actual root filesystem
>> partition.  Under those circumstances it does say:
>>
>> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>>
>> so "panic" was the right phrase here, even though it makes one think of
>> something quite different.
>>

> Thanks Andy.
>
> I found this on Wikipedia:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Forced-linux-kernel-panic-under-qemu.jpg
> where it has the kernel panic you mention.  So am I to understand that
> the first two lines in grub.conf will have completed properly (root
> ..., and kernel ...) and it's only the initrd where the failure occurs
> (and only when trying to swap the kernel in RAM for the one on the
> hard drive)?
>
> At this point it's for my own trouble shooting knowledge and
> understanding of the boot process that I ask this seeing Karl has
> resolved that portion of his problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jacques B.

Yes you have it Jacques, Grub was perfect and the kernel booted fine.
But next the kernel read the  initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.4-65.fc7.img
 it got data from my old computer which was not accurate for this
computer and errored out with a kernel panic. It was the right error
because the kernel could not find the right partition :-)

The best way to overcome this error is to use the F7 DVD and Upgrade
your copy. It loads the old kernel with a proper initrd file.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User